The Idaho Legal History Section seeks to preserve, interpret, and educate others about the history of lawyers, judges and the judiciary, the Idaho State Bar, and the Rule of Law in Idaho. The section meets at 12:00 p.m. noon (MT) on the second Tuesday of the month in the months of January, March, May and October at The Law Center, 525 W. Jefferson Street in Boise. Participation via video and/or telephone conference is also available.
Upcoming Meetings & Material
Next Meeting: Agenda | Material | Idaho Legal History Section By-Laws
- Idaho Legal History Section Meeting on March 14, 2023 12:00 pm
- Idaho Legal History Section Meeting on May 9, 2023 12:00 pm
- Idaho Legal History Section Meeting on October 10, 2023 12:00 pm
- Idaho Legal History Section Meeting on January 9, 2024 12:00 pm
- Idaho Legal History Section Meeting on March 12, 2024 12:00 pm
Upcoming Events & Section Sponsored CLEs
Recent Features of Idaho Legal History
Idaho is featured in the recent issues of Western Legal History, the journal of the Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society. The issue is the culmination of a years’ long effort in partnership between the Section and our friends at NJCHS. It features writings on the great state of Idaho and includes pieces on its history with an emphasis on the legal and the judicial landscape.
Visit their website for the full volume or click on the articles below.
- Applying History: A Historian’s Experiences in the Coeur d’Alene Water Cases | Thomas R. Cox
- Friendship Betrayed: Granville Stuart, Samuel T. Hauser, and the Seven Devils Mining Case | Clyde A. Milner II
- Idaho Scrapbook | Christian Winn
- Tumult to Order: The Federal Courts in North Idaho | Hon. Richard C. Tallman and Morgan D. Goodin
- Idaho Judges on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals | Hon. Ryan D. Nelson
- The First Women of Idaho’s Bench and Bar | Debora Grasham
- Idaho’s Courthouses: Past and Present | Robyn Lipsky and Katia Kiston
- A True “Western Lawyer”: The Extraordinary Legal Career of Milton J. Helmick —Last Judge of the U.S. Court for China | Tom Westphal
If you are interested in joining the Idaho Legal History Section, please register using the Section Registration Form.
Membership dues are as follows:
Standard Membership Dues – $25
Law Students – FREE
To view the section’s by-laws, select: Idaho Legal History Section By-Laws.
To view the section’s donation policy & guidelines, select: Idaho Legal History Section Donation Policy & Guidelines.
At Large Council Members
The Litigation Section of the Idaho State Bar presents information on this website as a service to our members and others who provide legal services to or are interested in the field of Litigation. Our goal is to provide information, education, and networking in this complex and wide-ranging area of the law.
While we strive to be accurate and timely, and therefore hope to be a valuable resource to users of this site, nothing contained herein should be construed as legal advice and we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or the other sites to which we link.