In March 2011, Idaho adopted the Uniform Bar Examination (UBE). Idaho administered the first UBE during the February 2012 bar examination. Idaho’s UBE passing score is 272.
Please contact the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE; ncbex.org) to request that an official UBE score transcript be sent directly to the Idaho State Bar. UBE score transfer applicants must also have already taken the MPRE, or must take the MPRE within two MPRE administrations of applying to transfer their UBE score to Idaho. The MPRE is administered in March, August and November. Idaho’s MPRE passing score is 85. Please contact the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE; ncbex.org) for more information about the MPRE, or to request that an official MPRE score transcript be sent directly to the Idaho State Bar.
Listed below are the steps for admission to the Idaho State Bar applicable to a UBE score transfer applicant. The application process could take from 60 to 90 days to complete.
- When an application has been processed and approved, the Idaho State Bar notifies the Idaho Supreme Court that the UBE score transfer applicant is eligible for admission.
- When the Idaho State Bar received the Order of Admission from the Idaho Supreme Court, the Admissions Department sends the applicant license forms to be completed and returned to the Idaho State Bar, along with a letter giving instructions for admission to the Idaho Supreme Court and the United State District Court.
- After the Idaho State Bar has received and processed the license forms, the applicant is eligible for admission. The applicant must first be admitted to the Idaho Supreme Court before being eligible for admission to the United States District Court.
- Applicants must appear in person at the Idaho Supreme Court in Boise to take the oath of admission. Please note that applicants have six months from the date of the Order of Admission to be sworn in. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 220.
- Within 12 months of admission to the Idaho State Bar, each lawyer is required to complete at least 10 New Admittee Credit Approved (NAC-Approved) continuing legal education (CLE) Credits. NAC – Approved CLE Credits address Idaho practice, procedure, and/or ethics. Of these 10 NAC – Approved CLE Credits, lawyers shall complete courses specifically addressing Idaho substantive law on ethics, civil and criminal procedure, and community property. Courses designated as NAC – Approved and courses satisfying the Idaho substantive law CLE requirement will be listed on the Idaho State Bar website. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 402 (f).
- A new lawyer who has actively practiced law for less than 3 years in any jurisdiction prior to admission to the Idaho State Bar must also complete the New Attorney Program within the first year of admission to the Idaho State Bar. The New Attorney Program is held twice a year in Boise in the spring and fall on the morning of each Admission Ceremony. It is not available online as a recorded program.
If you have questions about the application process or the admission requirements, please contact Maureen Ryan Braley, Associate Director, or Belinda Brown, Admissions Analyst. If you have questions about the New Attorney Program, please contact Teresa Baker, Program & Legal Education Director. If you have questions about CLE or licensing requirements, please contact Annette Strauser, Membership Administrator. All can be reached by phone at (208) 334-4500.
Apply to transfer your UBE score to Idaho using the Idaho State Bar Admissions Application. Click HERE for the application, instructions on how to complete the application, and other required forms.
Questions about the application process? Contact Maureen Ryan Braley, Associate Director, or Belinda Brown, Admissions Analyst, at (208) 334-4500.
Request a Copy of a Previously Filed Application
The Idaho State Bar Charges a $25.00 fee for all copies of previously filed applications. To obtain a copy or copies of your application, please submit a written request accompanied by the $25.00 fee for each copy to:
Idaho State Bar
PO Box 895
Boise, ID 83701
Please list the name and mailing address for the receipt of each copy and whether a certified statement should accompany the copy.
Student – $600
Attorney – $800
A UBE score transfer applicant is considered a Student only if the applicant has not been admitted in any other jurisdiction as of the date of the application to the Idaho State Bar. If the UBE transfer applicant has been admitted in another jurisdiction as of the date of the application to the Idaho State Bar, then the applicant is an Attorney and is required to pay the Attorney application fee of $800. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 203(c).
The following people have applied for admission to practice law in Idaho through the transfer of a UBE score obtained in another jurisdiction.
APPLYING FROM 2/1/23 to 2/28/23
Tia Dawn Carnahan
Walter Russell Daggatt
aka Russell Walter Daggatt
Harvard Law School
Alexandra Nicole Hutchinson
Willamette University College of Law
University of Idaho College of Law
Pepperdine University Odell McConnell Law Center
It is important that you keep your mailing and email addresses up to date with the Idaho State Bar so we can make sure you receive important information. Please contact Belinda Brown to update your address.