In March 2011, Idaho adopted the Uniform Bar Examination (UBE). Idaho administered the first UBE during the February 2012 bar examination.
After March 1, 2012, the Idaho State Bar will accept UBE score transfers. Prior to the February 2017 UBE, an applicant for admission to the Idaho State Bar may transfer a UBE scaled score of 280 or above from another UBE jurisdiction if the UBE was taken within the last 37 months. Effective for the February 2017 UBE and any UBE thereafter, the UBE score requirement is 272. Please contact the National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE; ncbex.org) in order to request that an official UBE score transcript be sent directly to the Idaho State Bar.
Here is a link to a list of jurisdictions that have adopted the UBE: https://ncbex.org/about-ncbe-exams/ube/ube-faqs/
If you took the UBE in Idaho and would like to transfer your UBE score to another jurisdiction, contact the NCBE.
Qualifications. In order to be eligible for admission to practice law in Idaho, the Applicant must:
- Be at least eighteen years of age;
- Be lawfully admitted to this country;
- Have, or will have received, a juris doctorate or bachelor of laws degree or an equivalent basic law degree from an Approved Law School.
- Have demonstrated the essential eligibility requirements to practice law pursuant to Rule 201 and have met all requirements in the Admission Rules; and
- Be a person of good moral character.
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE). Prior to submitting an Application for Transfer of UBE Score and Admission to the Idaho State Bar, or within the next two scheduled MPRE administrations after submission of such application, the Applicant must take the MPRE and receive a minimum scaled score of 85 or such other minimum scaled score as the Board may establish.
Duty to Supplement. All Applicants must supplement their Application with relevant character and fitness information until admitted to practice law in Idaho.
Listed below are the steps for admission to the Idaho State Bar applicable to a UBE score transfer applicant. The application process could take from 60 to 90 days to complete.
1. When an application has been processed and approved, the Idaho State Bar notifies the Idaho Supreme Court that the UBE score transfer applicant is eligible for admission.
2. When the Idaho State Bar received the Order of Admission from the Idaho Supreme Court, the Admissions Department sends the applicant license forms to be completed and returned to the Idaho State Bar, along with a letter giving instructions for admission to the Idaho Supreme Court and the United State District Court.
3. After the Idaho State Bar has received and processed the license forms, the applicant is eligible for admission. The applicant must first be admitted to the Idaho Supreme Court before being eligible for admission to the United States District Court.
4. Applicants must appear in person at the Idaho Supreme Court in Boise to take the oath of admission. Please note that applicants have six months from the date of the Order of Admission to be sworn in. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 220.
5. Within 12 months of admission to the Idaho State Bar, each lawyer is required to complete at least 10 New Admittee Credit Approved (NAC-Approved) continuing legal education (CLE) Credits. NAC – Approved CLE Credits address Idaho practice, procedure and/or ethics. Of these 10 NAC – Approved CLE Credits, lawyers shall complete courses specifically addressing Idaho substantive law on ethics, civil and criminal procedure and community property. Courses designated as NAC – Approved and courses satisfying the Idaho substantive law CLE requirement will be listed on the Idaho State Bar website. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 402 (f).
6. A new lawyer who has actively practiced law for less than 3 years in any jurisdiction prior to admission to the Idaho State Bar must also complete the New Attorney Program within the first year of admission to the Idaho State Bar. The New Attorney Program is held twice a year in Boise in the spring and fall on the morning of each Admission Ceremony. It is not available online as a recorded program.
If you have questions about the application process or the admission requirements, please contact Maureen Ryan Braley, Associate Director, or Belinda Brown, Admissions Analyst. If you have questions about the New Attorney Program, please contact Teresa Baker, Program & Legal Education Director. If you have questions about CLE or licensing requirements, please contact Annette Strauser, Membership Administrator. All can be reached by phone at (208) 334-4500.
The Application for UBE Score Transfer and Admission to the Idaho State Bar, along with complete information for this process, are available in PDF format. You will need Acrobat Reader to open and print the documents. Please submit all forms on white paper. Please print out the following:
1. UBE Score Transfer Application Information Sheet – Includes all instructions for completing the application. Please print these instructions and keep them for future reference.
2. Application for UBE Score Transfer and Admission to the Idaho State Bar – Only original applications will be accepted.
3. Fingerprint Card – Request a Fingerprint Card, complete all information and return the card with the application.
4. Authorization and Release Form – Submit two forms for each application.
5. Consent to Release Student Records – Submit two forms for each law school attended.
6. Reference Form – Copy one for all references listed on the application.
Request a Copy of a Previously Filed Application
The Idaho State Bar Charges a $25.00 fee for all copies of previously filed applications. To obtain a copy or copies of your application, please submit a written request accompanied by the $25.00 fee for each copy to:
Idaho State Bar
PO Box 895
Boise, ID 83701
Please list the name and mailing address for the receipt of each copy and whether a certified statement should accompany the copy.
Make checks payable to the Idaho State Bar.
Student – $600
Attorney – $800
A UBE score transfer applicant is considered a Student only if the applicant has not been admitted in any other jurisdiction as of the date of the application to the Idaho State Bar. If the UBE transfer applicant has been admitted in another jurisdiction as of the date of the application to the Idaho State Bar, then the applicant is an Attorney and is required to pay the Attorney application fee of $800. Idaho Bar Commission Rule 203(c).
The following people have applied for admission to practice law in Idaho through the transfer of a UBE score obtained in another jurisdiction.
APPLYING FROM 5/1/19 TO 6/30/19
Kristine June Ingle
South Salt Lake, UT
University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law
Jeffrey Russell Jimenez
University of Idaho College of Law
Joseph Thomas Myers
Gonzaga University School of Law
Steven Drew Parkinson
University of Idaho College of Law
Eric Walker Stokes
Seattle University School of Law
Allen Michael Young
West Jordan, UT
Pennsylvania State University, Penn State Law
It is important that you keep your mailing and email addresses up to date with the Idaho State Bar so we can make sure you receive important information. Please contact Belinda Brown to update your address.