Find an Attorney

If you have questions about when you need to hire a lawyer, how to deal with a lawyer or when can you handle a matter on your own, the Professionalism and Ethics Section of the Idaho State Bar has created a Consumers Guide to Idaho Lawyers that may help you.  If you do need to hire a lawyer, the Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service may be able to assist you.   The Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program is also available to help people who do not have money to hire a lawyer. You can also review our Frequently Asked Questions page to find information on common legal questions or submit a simple question online.

If you are looking for a specific Idaho attorney or checking to see if someone is licensed to practice law in Idaho, see Attorney Records below.

Lawyer Referral Service

The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) is operated as a public service of the Idaho State Bar. All LRS attorneys are members in good standing with the Idaho State Bar. All LRS attorneys carry Professional Liability Insurance. LRS attorneys have agreed to provide their clients with an initial free half-hour office consultation. The fee for a referral is $35 unless the cases include personal injury, medical malpractice or workers' compensation which receive a free referral. After the initial half-hour, any further fees are to be negotiated between the lawyer and client. All attorneys listed in the LRS database have paid a registration fee to participate in the LRS. Not all Idaho State Bar attorneys are members of the LRS service.

To contact the Lawyer Referral Service:

Depending on your need, our Legal Agencies and Law Related Services PDF File - Get Acrobat Reader listing may also be of assistance.

Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program

If you are low income and  have a civil cases as described below, the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program (IVLP) may be able to help you. IVLP offers legal services at no cost for low-income persons who qualify according to federal poverty guidelines and who have eligible priority case-types.

Eligible case-types include:

  • Custody and Visitation
  • Divorce (Please contact your local crisis center if you are a victim of domestic violence)
  • Modification of child custody court orders
  • Guardianship Child
  • Guardianship Adult
  • Immigration (limited situations only)
  • Wills in non-property matters
  • Debt defense (limited)
  • Assistance for nonprofit corporations

Cases where domestic violence and/or child endangerment are at issue will have priority for referral to volunteer attorneys.

Please note that acceptance of any case depends on the circumstances of the case and the availability of volunteer lawyers.  Call (208) 334-4510, 1-800-221-3295 or Click Here for more information on the Program.

Attorney Records

All attorneys licensed to practice law in Idaho must be members of the Idaho State Bar (ISB). You may use the online Attorney Roster to locate an Idaho attorney or determine whether or not someone is licensed to practice law in Idaho.

If you cannot locate an attorney using the roster search, please contact the Licensing Department at (208) 334-4500. The Licensing Department has additional ways to search the records and can tell you whether or not an attorney is currently in good standing with the ISB.  The ISB does not have "win/loss" records and, other than the Lawyer Referral Service attorneys, does not provide a listing of the types of law attorneys practice.

If you need information on an attorney’s disciplinary history — whether or not an attorney has been subject to public disciplinary charges — contact the Bar Counsel’s Office at (208) 334-4500.

PDF File - Get Acrobat Reader Get Acrobat Reader

Related Links

Self Representation

National Legal Assistance Information