Within 12 months of admission to the ISB, all new Idaho attorneys must complete 10 New Admittee Credit-Approved (NAC-Approved) continuing legal education (CLE) credits under Idaho Bar Commission Rule (IBCR) 402(f). NAC-Approved CLE Credits address Idaho practice, procedure, and/or ethics.
- Complete at least ten New Admittee Credit-Approved (NAC-Approved) Credits within one year following admission.
- Of those 10 NAC-Approved credits, all attorneys must complete the four Idaho Substantive Law Courses on ethics, civil and criminal procedure, and community property. I.B.C.R. 402(f)(2).
- Of those 10 NAC-Approved credits, if the attorney has not practiced law for at least three years prior to admission, complete the New Attorney Program. I.B.C.R. 402(f)(3).
New Admittee Credit-Approved (NAC-Approved) Courses
Approved courses are identified by the “NAC” (New Admittee Credit) or “NAC-Approved” designation. If you are interested in attending a course on Idaho practice, procedure, or ethics, but it is not NAC-Approved, contact the MCLE Department at (208) 334-4500 to discuss obtaining NAC approval.
Check our list of Upcoming CLE Courses for NAC courses. We also have a list of our all our NAC-Approved Online Courses. Remember to look for the NAC designation when choosing an on-demand course.
Idaho Substantive Law Courses
The four required Idaho Substantive Law Courses on ethics, civil and criminal procedure, and community property are available as online, on-demand courses. All new Idaho lawyers must complete these four courses as part of their ten New Admittee Credit-Approved (NAC-Approved) requirement.
New Attorney Program
All new Idaho lawyers who have not practiced law for at least three years prior to admission must complete the New Attorney Program (NAP) within one year following admission. Credits from the New Attorney Program will be applied to the ten New Admittee Credit-Approved (NAC-Approved) requirement.
The next Idaho State Bar New Attorney Program will be held on Friday, May 5, 2023 in-person only. An attorney must be admitted and sworn in to the Idaho State Bar for this course to count toward the New Admittee CLE requirement. If you will not be sworn in by May 5, 2023, you will have to wait until September 29, 2023 to take this course. Registration for the May 5th course will be available in March 2023 on our CLE calendar.
New members must meet the requirements of IBCR 402(f) within one year following admission to the Idaho State Bar. The one year will begin the day the attorney is admitted to the Idaho State Bar. Attorneys can request a hardship extension to complete the requirements under IBCR 402(f)(4). Failure to meet the requirements by the deadline can result in cancelation of the attorney’s license to practice law in Idaho.
Certification of Compliance
Following admission to the Idaho State Bar, new members will receive a letter from the Licensing Department and a certificate of compliance with IBCR 402(f). This certificate showing the new admittee credits earned must be submitted to the Licensing Department by the end of the attorney’s one year deadline. A copy of the certificate is available online:
Who to Contact
Please contact us at (208) 334-4500 if you have any questions:
- Calle Belodoff: Questions about meeting the NAC requirements — certificate of compliance, number of credits still needed, self study v. not self study, deadlines, etc.
- Dayna Ferrero: Information on and registering for upcoming New Attorney Programs or other Idaho Law Foundation or Idaho State Bar NAC approved courses.
- Teresa Baker: Information on NAC approved online on-demand courses.