Under Idaho Bar Commission Rule (IBCR) 408, an Idaho State Bar member whose principal office for the practice of law is in another state may use MCLE compliance from the other state to meet the Idaho MCLE requirements if the attorney meets the Reporting Requirements listed below.
Out of State MCLE Reporting Requirements
Qualifications. An attorney whose principal office for the practice of law is not in Idaho may comply with the Idaho MCLE requirements by filing a compliance report, on a form prescribed by the Board, certifying that:
- The attorney is subject to the mandatory CLE credit requirements in the jurisdiction where their principal office for the practice of law is located;
- The attorney complied with that jurisdiction’s mandatory CLE requirements within the past three (3) years by submission and approval of the required credits; and
- The attorney is currently in compliance with the mandatory CLE credit requirements in that jurisdiction.
*Do not submit transcripts of completed courses. Please use the Out of State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) form.
Certificate of Compliance
An attorney submitting a compliance report from another state must provide a mandatory CLE certificate of compliance, or similar verification, from the other jurisdiction that includes the following information:
- Confirmation that the attorney is in compliance with the mandatory CLE requirements;
- The attorney’s current mandatory CLE reporting period;
- The date that the attorney’s previous mandatory CLE reporting period ended; and
- Confirmation that the attorney complied with the mandatory CLE requirements by submission of approved credits during the previous reporting period.
- Satisfaction of CLE requirements in Alaska or Hawaii does not satisfy Idaho’s mandatory CLE requirements.
- Attorneys licensed in other jurisdictions are not exempted from the New Admittee Education requirements.
- Attorneys claiming specialty certification shall comply with the requirements of the applicable certifying organization for completion of CLE credits in the specialty area.
- Attorneys who transferred to Active status under IBCR 306 shall comply with the CLE requirements applicable to the Transfer.
Submitting a Certificate of MCLE Compliance from Another State
Attorneys who complete MCLE requirements in another state must submit a Designation of MCLE Reporting State form prior to the end of their Idaho MCLE reporting period, designating the other state as their MCLE state.
Certificates of compliance from other states must be dated within 90 days of the end of the attorney’s Idaho MCLE reporting period.
If an attorney’s primary practice state does not issue MCLE certificates of compliance, an Out of State MCLE Certificate of Compliance Form may be used instead.
Use our online Licensing Forms Upload to submit these completed forms.