Official Government Website

Seeking Legal Assistance

For those who qualify for IVLP services, IVLP volunteer lawyers handle a variety of civil legal matters, including but not limited to:

  • Divorce
  • Custody
  • Guardianships for minors and adults
  • Housing (limited)
  • Wills & Estates
  • Debt Collection
  • Immigration (limited to some naturalization and cases involving domestic violence or sexual assault)

IVLP CANNOT help in the following types of cases:

  • Criminal
  • Bankruptcy
  • Child support collection
  • Defense of child protection cases
  • Defense of protection order cases
  • Enforcement or appeals
  • Tort Cases
  • Workers compensation

The Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program (IVLP) helps eligible low income people in Idaho who need a lawyer for a civil legal matter. Family law cases involving domestic violence, sexual assault and/or child endangerment have priority for referral to volunteer lawyers. IVLP helps people whose income is at or below 125% of the Federal Poverty Level, and without significant assets, which could be sold and used to pay a lawyer’s fees. If you don’t know if you qualify, it is still good to inquire.

There are two ways to apply:

Fill the applicant information form out on-line by clicking IVLP Applicant Information Form

Or call: (208)334-4510 or (800)221-3295

Your inquiry will be received by the intake coordinator at IVLP, who will determine if you are eligible to apply for legal assistance by considering your case type, household income and specific circumstances.

Once an application is taken, you will be contacted by a case manager for an in-depth phone interview.  Your application will then be reviewed by the Legal Director to decide if your case will be referred to a volunteer lawyer.

We are not an emergency program; it may take a few weeks to get through the application process.  In some instances, IVLP will not be able to assist with an attorney to represent you and IVLP will notify of its decision in writing.  You may be referred to other IVLP resources or collaborative partners. 

Cases involving domestic violence, sexual assault and child endangerment have priority for referral to volunteer lawyers.  If you face the threat of danger or violence, towards you or anyone in your household, please contact a domestic violence crisis center for immediate assistance.

If IVLP assigns your case to a volunteer lawyer, that lawyer will assist you with your legal need.  In some cases the lawyer may provide advice and counsel to help explain options on a legal matter. In other cases, the volunteer lawyer may represent you fully on a case or matter.  This will be clearly communicated before an assignment to a lawyer is made.

The lawyer’s services are free but you may be required to pay certain costs related to your case, such as the cost to serve the opposing party or conduct certain evaluations required in guardianship or custody cases.

ver: 3.2.60 | last updated: