Mandatory Continuing Legal Education
Out of State Reporting
Under Idaho Bar Commission Rule (IBCR) 408, an Idaho State Bar member whose principal office for the practice of law is in another state may use MCLE compliance from the other state to meet the Idaho MCLE requirements if the attorney meets the following conditions.
Qualifications. An attorney whose principal office for the practice of law is not in Idaho may comply with the Idaho MCLE requirements by filing a compliance report, on a form prescribed by the Board, certifying that:
(1) The attorney is subject to the mandatory CLE credit requirements in the jurisdiction where his or her principal office for the practice of law is located;
(2) The attorney complied with that jurisdiction’s mandatory CLE requirements within the past three (3) years by submission and approval of the required credits; and
(3) The attorney is currently in compliance with the mandatory CLE credit requirements in that jurisdiction.
Certificate of Compliance. An attorney submitting a compliance report from another state must provide a mandatory CLE certificate of compliance, or similar verification, from the other jurisdiction that includes the following information:
(1) Confirmation that the attorney is in compliance with the mandatory CLE requirements;
(2) The attorney’s current mandatory CLE reporting period;
(3) The date that the attorney’s previous mandatory CLE reporting period ended; and
(4) Confirmation that the attorney complied with the mandatory CLE requirements by submission of approved credits during the previous reporting period.
(1) Satisfaction of CLE requirements in Alaska or Hawaii does not satisfy Idaho mandatory CLE requirements.
(2) Attorneys licensed in other jurisdictions are not exempted from the New Admittee Education requirements.
(3) Attorneys claiming specialty certification shall comply with requirements of the applicable certifying organization for completion of CLE credits in the specialty area.
(4) Attorneys who transferred to Active status under IBCR 306 shall comply with the CLE requirements applicable to the Transfer.
Attorneys who wish to comply with their Idaho MCLE requirement under IBCR 408 should complete and submit a Designation of MCLE Reporting State form prior to the end of their Idaho MCLE reporting period.
The Idaho State Bar will accept certificates of MCLE compliance from another state as compliance in Idaho under the following conditions:
- The attorney meets the qualifications under IBCR 408 (see above).
- The certificate of compliance or similar verification from the other state meets the requirements of IBCR 408 (see above).
- The certificate is dated within 90 days of the end of the attorney's Idaho MCLE reporting period.
If an attorney's primary practice state does not issue MCLE certificates of compliance, an Out of State MCLE Certificate of Compliance may be used instead.
The Idaho State Bar will provide certificates of MCLE compliance for filing in another state under the following conditions:
- The attorney is an active member of the Idaho State Bar and his or her primary practice of law is in Idaho.
- The attorney has completed his or her first full Idaho MCLE reporting cycle and, if applicable, has completed his or her first full Idaho MCLE reporting cycle following reinstatement to active status.
- The attorney has complied with the Idaho MCLE credit requirements during the reporting cycle immediately preceding the current cycle.
- If the attorney’s Idaho MCLE reporting cycle ends in the current year, the attorney must comply with the Idaho MCLE requirements before requesting a certificate for another state.
To ensure the certificate is current and acceptable in another state, wait until the licensing begins before requesting an Idaho certificate of MCLE compliance. Contact the MCLE Department by phone, email or fax. There is no fee and, unless otherwise requested, the certificates will be mailed to the attorney within a few days of the request.